View Single Post
Old 06-03-19, 10:49 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
My legs and knees feel better after this weekend's 400 then probably any of my 200/300s, so I think I finally found the perfect saddle position. But my neck was very sore at least half the ride, something I need to fix before a 600 in 2 weeks. I'm going to try Specialized's Hover bar which has a 15 mm rise, and 5 mm shorter reach than my current bar.

The 400 was my first ride with a SP PV-8 dynamo and edelux 2 headlight. If they could double the light output of the edelux through a more efficient LED I think it would be perfect. The light from one of them is ok, but when two of us were riding side by side the amount of light was very nice.

It was also the second ride with my Velo Orange Randonneur bag. I really appreciate the huge size and that it isn't connected to the bars, but I try to keep bulky but light items such as clothing inside it. Without that bag I might have opted not to take a sweater, and would have been very cold after 1 am. With any heavy handlebar bag you have to get into the habit of never letting go of the bars while off the bike unless the bars are turned sideways or supported against something. The first time I used it last year the bars swung around while I was stopped and slammed my bar end shifter hard into the top tube dislodging the shift ring. I thought it was broken not simply dislodged, so I spent the rest of that ride in friction mode.

I really should get around to sewing some external straps onto my trunk bag so I can carry stuff like a jacket on the outside instead of needing to squeeze it inside.