Old 06-06-19, 09:25 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
The Top Contact II's mount with ease. They are folding bead tires, so they can be a bit floppy with the first mount but with subsequent remounts they hold their shape. I've always found wider tires much easier to mount than the skinny ones anyway. I have mounted the Conti's on Ryno Lites, DT Swiss 545D, Velocity Dyad, and generic Specialized stock rims (probably Alex).

Both the Marathons and Top Contact II's are high quality tires. For me, the decision came down to flat protection. I can do it the heavy way with a thick extra layer of rubber, or I can do it the lighter way with a thin layer of high-tech fabric. I suppose the Marathons probably are better at flat protection but if the Conti's already exceed my needs, why bother? I just feel like when when the level of flat protection is already so high, there's no need for me to go to the extreme. My real world experience with the Armadillos has proven valid and they use a special weave of Kevlar which is supposed to be weaker than Vectran. I probably would still be rolling Armadillos if they didn't ride so harsh.

The Conti's are plush, smooth rolling, flat resistant, lightweight (for their size), grippy, durable, high quality tires. I'm happy.

-Kedosto
Your weight savings argument on the Top Contact II's was the deal closer for me. You hit the nail on the head. I tip the scales around 215 so an extra pound of tires doesn't mean squat to me when I'm rolling. But on my commuter bike the constant stopping and starting makes that extra pound getting tires rolling start to wear you out.

I also don't ride through piles of nails and broken glass. I mean it happens on a rare occasion but I don't typically commute through streets that look like they are in a 3rd world war ravaged nation. So I feel like the puncture protection of the Contis would serve me okay with minimal risk (all hail the biking gods....they are wise...may their vengeance not strike me down) and the improved ride quality makes that risk worth it (more praise to the biking gods and their infinite wisdom...may I not be stricken with a flat tire for my insolence)