Old 06-06-19, 01:33 PM
morycua

Bikes: Giant OCR3, SE Lager, Nishiki Olympic 12, Giant ATX, Gary Fisher Mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmericanKermit
Hi, my fiance and I are looking to start bike riding. Both of us biked around town some when we were in college (now 28-29). We haven't for several years for different reasons. We want to get back into it as a way of exercising. I am 5' 4" and 170 lbs. He is 6'3" and roughly 300 lbs. He has no major issues; I, however, was in a car accident a couple years back and have finally been approved to start doing whatever I want. I had rotator cuff, bicep tendon, and labral tear repairs. I also suffered from nerve damage in my neck, shoulder, and upper back. The majority of my everything has been fixed, however, I do still have some pains if i keep my neck in an outstretched low position (think marathon bike riders position). We are not sure where to start with picking out bicycles that aren't Walmart throw-away bikes. We still want to stay relatively cheap (max of about $500-600 combined). We would be riding mostly on city roads or gravel country roads. On occasion, they may do some riding in some mountains (if we get to that level of ability). Neither of us intend to become hard-core bikers. What are the best suggestions on what to buy, maybe things to make it easier, better suited? What things should we look for in a bike for someone on the heavier side? Truly, what advice/suggestions do you have in regards to literally anything for us. We intend to go to a local bike shop and talk to them, but I wanted some non-sales advice prior to going there. Thanks!
Welcome to cycling! None of us set out to be hardcore bikers before we started but for some it's inevitable, lol. I think it will be hard to find 2 entry level bikes with that low total combined price. I say that to say that "Walmart" bikes are not always as bad as they are made it to be. Even if you buy a Walmart bike I would still take it to your local bike shop (LBS) for a tune up after purchase to make sure everything is copastetic. I'm a heavy analytical researcher so I would visit your LBS and get some beans and model names and then come home to do some review reading and price comparing online. Good luck in your searching. Let us know what you find out there, this forum is very informative and helpful.