Old 06-06-19, 08:15 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I use "passing on your left" said in as pleasant a voice I can muster audibly. The only time I've seen it cause confusion is when someone doesn't understand English.

I'm glad the bell works for you. I'm just sick of illogical arguments that it's somehow superior to announcing, and my point that I find bells a bit more annoying is only to note that that is a very subjective thing.

I do think it is objectively true that words can convey more information than bell sounds, so I always find the "people get confused when I announce" arguments for why everyone should use bells rather disingenuous. I also realize that not everyone is capable of clearly and audibly stating their intentions without sounding like they're screaming unpleasantly, so I really don't question people about why they prefer a bell. You can always buy a different bell, you are generally stuck with the voice you have.
I think the most important part is to ring or announce before making the pass which I'm sure you do. My local MUPS have a lot of foreigners (most speak at least a little English) but there's so many bikes everyone's used to "passing on the left", I don't really see folks freaking & jumping out of line. OTOH my local MUP has a narrow adjoining gravel section...one evening I was walking dog (with blinding sun ahead) a biker zoomed by shouting "on the left" & another biker zoomed onto the gravel hollering "on the right" at the same time, he nearly clobbered me & a woman ahead.

I guess the rude bikers don't read BF. The real bikers like actual (not pretend) racers, commuters & tourists are pretty polite. When I was 16 I was kinda rude, passing 3-wide on the (then) narrower paths. One time I zoomed by a family w/little kids...Dad objected & I realized I wasn't being very nice. But now I see riders of all ages that can't be bothered to slow down a bit to avoid the 3-wide pass, as if they're setting some new personal best time.