Old 06-08-19, 02:15 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
I guess its almost impossible to determine if a frame is "as good as new" without sophisticated equipment, but its not that hard to deem it cracked with almost no equipment.
And thats pretty much what the lbs'es are trying to determine. is it a scratch or a crack? thats it. they are not trying to quantify the level of crackedness. and they dont need to. No reason to.

I feel many people are creating a storm it a drinking glass just because it made out of carbon fiber.

And its kinda funny since this is the best material in the entire universe, proven by science too. so its should not be able to break at all. right.
Sure and I largely agree.

But you know how this plays out at the shop - someone brings it in, no one finds a crack but there was damage below the paint. Shop pronounces it fine and then it fails soon after and someone gets hurt. So it really is not a good thing to be doing because all the shop can say is “we didn’t find any cracks,” which isn’t really telling you anything at all. And if they tell you it’s fine, then they’re woefully ignorant; point being, they simply don’t know.

I’d respect a shop that referred you on to some one that could make the correct determination. The safety - and legal - issues are substantial.