Old 06-08-19, 04:15 PM
elle107

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you handle a week of thunderstorms?

There’s a 80-90% chance of rain/thunder/lightening for the next three days and a 50-60% chance the following two days. How do you experienced tourists handle these forecasts?

I’m on my first bike tour and am faced with a five-day long thunderstorm. It started raining two days ago. The first day that it rained, I biked only half the day and payed for a campsite at a park. The next day, the weather cleared enough (including one hour-long storm) for me to cover 60 miles to stay with a Warm Showers host who had to go out of town after my one night. I travelled a few miles from the Warm Showers host to a motel for the day/night, but it’s costing me $75.

While it didn’t end up raining this morning as predicted, it poured with lightening in the evening. I was upset that I missed cycling all day, but beyond relieved that I wasn’t stuck in the afternoon storm. I got caught in the storm yesterday afternoon and felt really unsafe.

I’m touring on a budget, i.e. free camping and Warm Showers. I feel like I’ve failed because I’ve already payed for a night at a campsite and another at a motel. My options are to stay at this motel in an undesirable, but safe location or try to get to a state park nearby where it’s cheaper.

What do you guys do?