Old 06-08-19, 05:59 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
The crack will not always show on the surface because a carbon tube in a frame is not usually of homogeneous composition. Internal fibres can be running in different directions to external ones, thus experiencing different loads and points of failure. They may also be a different carbon with a different modulus of rigidity, again causing different loading throughout the tube wall.
yes fibers running in all directions is the norm, otherwise carbon fiber does not work at all. even though all cabron fibers are all different modulus (stiffness) and strength they are for all practical purposes rock hard. and unrigid.

so if its gonna crack. its not gonna do so from the inside. not a tube that you flex. not gonna happen but you might try to convince me, and its not gonna end up well for you. and not for anyone else with a brain. I'm friends that have been designing and building with carbon since 1985 or so. they design the molds and do QC of the parts.

I really have no horse in the race though since i own 0 carbon bikes. i do own 3 steel and 2 Ti bikes though. and those are dependable materials. if they crack you will know. you can spot it from 1meter away.

god luck with your crabon frame man!