View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 09:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
I make it a practice to always cross cracks, sealed, filled or otherwise, at an angle. I will even steer away from a crack I am very close to just so I an come back and cross it aggressively. (I dropped my 2-year-old Peter Mooney's front tire into a crack in the shade of a bridge handrail and went over the bars. A rude wake-up call.)

A little secret - the best tire tread to climb out of cracks, ruts and back onto the road is the ribbed tread of sewups 40 years ago. The fine lines of tread that go lengthwise around the tire. The tread that looks the same at 40 mph as at a standstill. Sadly it disappeared for about 25 years. Vittoria has brought it back on their best tires, the G+ and G2.0. Not cheap, but that tread is as good as I remembered it to be. I hope it becomes popular, that other manufacturers start using it and Vittoria take it down to their cheaper models. 40 years ago it was commonplace.

Ben