View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 06:20 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My latest 3-speed find: A 1935-ish Armstrong roadster, ladies frame. I'm rebuilding this one with the intentions of selling it to a WWII re-enactment group, the Woman's Land Army. These ladies put on some incredible displays, and most of what they've got are antiques, not something modern fudged to work.

Of course, what I'm lucked into is an "80% complete" bike, which means I'm looking forward to spending the rest of this year (at least) looking for the other 20%. Primarily: full chain case, and a lot of little parts for the rear brake. Hub is a Sturmey AW, although I'm not seeing any date stamp on the hub case, at least not in the places I'm usually used to looking at in '60's and '70's bikes.

If anyone knows of any sources for pre-war English bikes parts, I'd appreciate it if you'd pass them along. While I've done a number of '50's bicycles in the past few years, this is my oldest restoration attempt. Happily I've got my own DL-1 Tourist to check over if I start getting confused.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker: