beatifik
say, by the way...

Bikes: 2 wheels...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
90s Roadbike to Townie Conversion

First, sorry if there is already a thread for this... I couldn't really find the info I was looking for.

I recently got a great deal on a low-to-mid level shop team bike from the 90s where I live in Italy. It's a Columbus Thron frame fitted with Campy Mirage for anyone that's interested.

I bought it to keep in my apartment for when people come to visit so I want to convert it to a more comfy townie type bike.

What are my options?

I'd like to convert it to downtube shifters, but it seems almost impossible to find indexed downtube shifters. Or I do barend shifters? Or I just use friction shifters but I'm unsure they will work with the current derailleurs. It has ergopower levers now... I suppose I could get some moustache bars and use the current levers? But then I'd need a new shorter stem...

In a perfect world I would love to set it up with some sort of porteur upright bars with downtube shifters (indexed if possible, but friction is fine too) and I don't want to change the whole groupset or many parts at all. Is this possible? Am I living in a fantasy land?

Otherwise I'll just leave it as is with drops, put some platform pedals on it and if people want to borrow a bike, they'll just have to deal with it as it is.