Old 06-14-19, 07:39 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Newbie Requests Advice
Originally Posted by AmericanKermit
Hi, my fiance and I are looking to start bike riding. Both of us biked around town some when we were in college (now 28-29). …We want to get back into it as a way of exercising. I am 5' 4" and 170 lbs. He is 6'3" and roughly 300 lbs.

He has no major issues; I, however, was in a car accident a couple years back and have finally been approved to start doing whatever I want. I had rotator cuff, bicep tendon, and labral tear repairs. I also suffered from nerve damage in my neck, shoulder, and upper back. The majority of my everything has been fixed, however, I do still have some pains if i keep my neck in an outstretched low position (think marathon bike riders position).

We are not sure where to start with picking out bicycles that aren't Walmart throw-away bikes. We still want to stay relatively cheap (max of about $500-600 combined). We would be riding mostly on city roads or gravel country roads. On occasion, they may do some riding in some mountains (if we get to that level of ability).

Neither of us intend to become hard-core bikers. What are the best suggestions on what to buy, maybe things to make it easier, better suited? What things should we look for in a bike for someone on the heavier side? Truly, what advice/suggestions do you have in regards to literally anything for us. We intend to go to a local bike shop and talk to them, but I wanted some non-sales advice prior to going there. Thanks!
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I think you and your fiance are in hybrid bike territory - hybrid bikes will give you an upright position, a frame that's a bit beefier than a delicate road bike, and appropriate tires for both pavement and gravel.

You may be able to get away with a cruiser, but I'd personally recommend something with multiple gears if you are going to ride on gravel.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
First, double your budget...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend? IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals.
I usually only suggest buying strategy, but FWIW, I can make a specific recommendation based on personal experieince:
Originally Posted by fietsbob
# 1, choose a Bike Shop you like, then (2) tell them about what your riding plans are...

(3) test ride some bikes they have…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Help with choosing a bike.

To add to that good, general basic advice, I recently posted to this thread, Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500,and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
Note in particular that I bought and enjoy the Escape because of neck and shoulder problems.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-14-19 at 07:51 AM.