View Single Post
Old 06-16-19, 09:53 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 381 Posts
I tried the dribble oil in freewheel as BF members suggested, Once. It didn't work for me, it made my dura ace 6 speed freewheel loud. So disassembled, cleaned and repacked with grease, which BTW is the way they were originally assembled. Every original Shimano and campagnolo freewheel that I've cracked open was originally packed with grease. Also not marine grease (like jelly) but with lithium grease (like peanut butter). So thats what I use now. I like the Dura Ace freewheels and so I rebuild them and they'll probably last longer than me.
As for gasoline, my Dad used it to wash grease off his hands. I've done it too. He'd just pour some on each hand and then rub his hands together. But my Dad was from a whole different generation, farm boy, WW2 veteran and hands like bricks.
However my mechanic Uncle Joe introduced me to Gojo. Different generation, Vietnam veteran.
I now use mineral spirits or paint thinner, brush and gloves. I'm a different generation as well, smarter (maybe) but definitely not as tough but at least I'm Mentally strong like them.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-16-19 at 10:28 AM.