View Single Post
Old 06-16-19, 04:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
My goodness such vitriol. I believe the point of the video was to encourage and inspire for anyone who feels they can't continue to be active (as best we can), and not to use chronological age alone to compel them to just give up trying.
Originally Posted by horatio
Since when does 50 y.o. equate to "elderly"?

Although my 20-something kids say I'm old. I once thought of 40-something as old. It's all relative, I suppose. Mental age and physical age never match, do they, until advanced age onset, dementia, etc. I'm still a 20-something in my head.
As am I. I sometimes have to "remind" myself that I need to slow down.
Like @canklecat says, use it while you can. That's why I'm getting back into training. I want to have an active and productive retirement.
Finally, somebody got it.

The video isn't implying there's no such thins as ailments associated with aging. Rather, that you can work in spite of them -- as best you can -- and to your benefit.

I learned that the hard way after throwing in the towel and giving up completely on all physical activities due to ailments. After 8 long years of total lethargy, something changed and I went back to the gym again. Shortly after, I bought my bike and began cycling again. What changed was something I promised myself in my youth -- I'd never just give up and do nothing and just wither away.

I remembered how I was encouraged way back then by older people that were still very active. When I gave up on activity, all that did was accelerate my physical decay, and leave me depressed and in a perpetual bad mood. Not the type of person I'd ever want to be.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The people in that video are not normal.
Maybe? On the other hand, maybe our idea of normal need to be reevaluated? If the above are the results, I'm all for a new normal. What about you?