Old 06-16-19, 08:11 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by moto367
So what are your "rules of thumb" for deciding to ride in the rain or not? Silly question I know...
We've had a ton of rain here this year and it's hampering my ride time. When I was younger I'd just go. Being older I find my motivation level dropping with less than ideal conditions. Is it age or pussitus? I'm thinking the latter. Anyway, when do you all decide that the rain is too hard, too wet or whatever to go ride in?
Simple, avoid it at all costs. I simply won't go out in the rain or if its forecast and likely, its just too dangerous. Nevertheless, when I would commute and had no driving alternative I'd leave home well ahead of time and "creep" to work. Its the only time I'd ride on the sidewalk.

For the record, "rain" means many things to different people depending on what region you live in. I mean there are northwestern misty "drizzle all day rain". And then there's mid-western and southern rains where the rains are mini hurricanes.

Believe me when I say you do not want to get caught out in the open when a southern-style thunderstorm hits. Flooded streets within minutes, where you have no idea what's beneath those waters. Or a bus or semi passes you and the spray in your face or waves knock you over.

You get to work covered in rancid street spray with squish shoes and socks. You'd better have the ability to shower and change clothes lest the biological fermentation from the rain water will send you workmates scurrying for refuge as far away from you as possible. The last thing the workplace "commuting cyclist wants to be known for.

Last edited by KraneXL; 06-17-19 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling correction