Old 06-17-19, 07:44 PM
the_mahout

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Zurich, 2002 Lemond Poprad, 1993 Trek 520, 1986 Trek 560 Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1982 Trek 610 - Thoughts on Original Components

Greetings. I just picked up a close to mint condition 1982 Trek 610 from the original owner. Frame is 21" (my size) and red in color. I was able to verify the year and model on the Vintage Trek site. It is bone stock. It even had all of those huge reflectors, front, rear and mounted on both spoked wheels.

I am looking for some thoughts on the quality of the stock components. My experience with older Trek bikes only goes back to Shimano 600 equipped from the mid-1980s. The bike has Dia-compe non-aero brake levers and calipers. It has a 3x6 drive train and down tube shifters. Shifters are marked "Suntour". Front and rear derailleur appears to say "Cyclone". Cranks are Sugino AT. Rims are 27 x 1-1/4" Rigida Made in France. Hubs say "Sunshine Gyromoste Japan", I think. I am assuming the stock components are decent and period correct for 1982. Thoughts?

Trek went to Shimano 600 on the Trek 610 Sport in 1984. Was the early eighties the end of Suntour components being installed on USA bikes?

Tires were incredibly dry rotted so I did not take it for a test ride. Sidewalls gave out under weight. I do have a 1984 steel frame Trek 560. Love the frame. I am hoping for something similar with the 610.

I have a new set of tires and tubes on order. I will be swapping the torn seat out with a Brooks Saddle and add new bar tape and hoods on the brake levers. Other than that my inclination is to leaving it mostly stock.

That said, I do prefer bar end shifter / barcons to the down tube shifters. I am assuming there is probably a Suntour barcons that would work with the current 3x9 drive train.

Thanks for any insights that you may have.