Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1BadBird
I have the 105 and haven't noticed any odd noises, though it's also only two months old.
Good to know! Maybe it's something with my non-stock wheels/rotors. I'll take it in and ask the shop to take a look at it.

Originally Posted by 996
Hey man - curious, are the actual brake calipers on the bike Shimano 105? ... How do you like it? Tire clearance enough for you?
Yeah, the calipers are 105 as well. I think the only component that isn't 105 is the crankset, since the GRX line didn't yet exist, so Cannondale used FSA 46/30 cranks. I've loved it so far! I have a rear rack and fenders on it since I commute a ton, and it works really well in that mode. I put lighter wheels on with Gravelking slick 38s and it rides amazingly smooth on the road. My only quibble was with fender/rack clearance, which I talk about above, but like I and others have mentioned, there are work arounds for that, and it's not a dealbreaker by far.

Tire clearance was a big consideration, and I was debating between the Topstone and the Salsa Vaya because of that. I eventually decided that aside from jumping up to a Monstercross bike, the differences in tire clearance between bikes in this category (and price range) were pretty small, and 42mm was good enough for most of what I want to do. That said, I haven't done a lot of off-road riding on it yet, but can swap the stock wheels/tires on when the need arises!