View Single Post
Old 06-20-19, 03:36 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, 2007 Trek 6000, Circe Morpheus

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chain waxing, rain and durability

Hello everyone,.
I'm looking for some real-life experience regarding how chains hold up in rain conditions that have been waxed (immersed in a cooker, not the bottled lube kind). It is easy to find amazed people reporting up to 500km before re-waxing, but once you get to rain, it gets more convoluted.
How is this going for you, specifically for commuter duty, in which there is limited ability to avoid rain? How well does your chain hold up to the wet elements? Is it worth it for you as a commuter? Do you use the chain-swapping system, or do you only have 1 chain ready at a time?

I'm using squirt lube right now and like it, but I suspect that hot-waxing is likely a more durable way in the dry. But I definitely cannot get 500km in without cycling in the rain, therefore my durability is limited by rain cycles.

Just for context: please, let's not let this derail into a general lube thread. There are other great lubes out there, but I'm focused on wax for commuter duty right now.
Likes For alias5000: