Old 06-21-19, 10:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7707 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,913 Posts
Do NOT buy the Motobecane.

It is a fine bike and will do everything you want it to, but the decal will always bother you ... I think that is silly, but everyone is different.

I own a BD Dawes. it says "Dawes" in big red letters. I could not and do not give a flaming frog, and am even less concerned with what others think when they see it. When people start buying me bikes, I will ride what pleases them ... so long as it also pleases me.

But as your yourself ... that's you.

In much the same vein (fears and concerns I consider to be irrational)I would advise against buying Any CF bikes ever again. As @Phil_gretz explains so artfully, you will Always have reason to fear if that fear is not based in reason, and you will Always get scratches and nicks on any bike you ride. So if you don't want to be back here eventually trying to sell another excellent, sound, high-quality CF bike for less than it is worth .... buy metal.

Consider custom steel---there is some high-quality steel out there which doesn't weigh a ton---or used Ti. Ti isn't exactly light, by the way .... it looked good compared to steel because ti gave an even more supple ride and didn't corrode and was Marginally lighter .... but it isn't light. if you really need a light bike, you probably want CF or a huge bankroll.

However .... I have been alternating between my ~16 pound (showroom weight) Workswell and my ~24-pound Fuji (one is for rain which we have been having in abundance) and I find I enjoy riding either equally.

Do yourself a favor and buy some steel .... no one will recognize the name on the down tube except aficionados, but you wont find three of them parked outside your favorite craft brew pub patio.