View Single Post
Old 06-23-19, 06:50 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Didn't happen. I had selected a route I found on RidewithGPS. What it didn't tell me was that the main road in and out was under construction and really wasn't safe to ride. There was no shoulder at all and only inches between the cars and any cyclists that might be out there. I only saw one and he didn't look too thrilled. Drove along the route to see if there was an alternative place I could start avoiding that construction zone, but there was nowhere to park. After seeing the roads, I thought better of setting out on unfamiliar and relatively challenging roads alone anyway. Drove to a bike path that I have ridden before (not particularly close to where I was). By now, my breakfast was wearing off. Got on the bike, clipped in and immediately fell over. Saw that the chain had come off my bike - probably explains why I fell. My knee was bleeding like crazy, so I got that under control and a nice man helped me put the chain back in place and even gave me some bandaids for my knee. I thanked him and set out. Made it up a hill that has always kicked my butt before (and even passed a guy half my age who was walking his bike up). Get a few miles out and see that my knee is once again bleeding like crazy (although it didn't hurt at all). I knew there was a nice coffee shop just ahead, so I stopped there to clean myself up. And got coffee and a cookie since breakfast had worn off. Just as I prepared to leave, the heavens opened up so I waited it out inside. Within 20 minutes or so, the rain had stopped and the sun was out. But I knew there were scattered thunderstorms expected throughout the day. Had to decide whether to go on (10 miles to the end of the path) or go back (4.5 miles back to the car). Since it clearly wasn't my day, I went back. Got caught in another downpour just before the car. I think there was some hail because it hurt when it hit me. Loaded the bike back up and went home, defeated. Total distance - 9 miles. A bit short of what I had planned.

Today I am going riding with my husband. His favorite bike path is an easy one so today will not be a long ride. But it is a gorgeous day and I get to spend it on my bike and with my sweetie.