Old 06-23-19, 10:53 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Thanks, hazetguy!

I like the way that Suntour presented all of this data.

Of note, they specified a chain width of "<7.3mm", though their own-branded chain is called out as 7.3mm exactly.
This correlates to my own observation that 7s Accushift works best with Shimano 9s chain, which is ~6.6mm wide.

Noting also that some of their bottom brackets show same spindle length but slightly shorter chainline in the 70mm Italian version, suggesting that some degree of driveside offset was surrendered to accommodate the width of the arm "hubs" at the bb end.

It looks like the 9000 designation wasn't added until Sprint became indexed, so Sprint 9000 is merely the indexed version of Sprint, and still at only 6 speeds. This is what my 1988(?) Specialized Allez came with. It would handle 26t at most as I found out.

I'm feeling opinionated this morning, so here goes:

The use of bold, white/scripted Gran Compe calipers was frankly a turn-off imho when the balance of components were a fine brushed/anodized silver, especially as the DiaCompe brand was perhaps less than altogether prestigious among many or most buyers.
DiaCompe got their "free advertising", and Suntour got thrown under the bus!

The 7s Accushift Alpha freewheels had subtly more-advanced cog tooth profiles than the four-pronged Ultra-7 freewheels that preceded them. These are best for use with Accu-7 and work best with Shimano 9s chain to provide a most robust 7s indexed drivetrain that would have better rivaled Shimano if the 9s chain had become available in 1988 instead of in 1997.

Ole' was of course far less well-developed than Sante was, but was visibly of much lower quality as well, so I don't see these as being direct competitors at any particular price point.