Old 06-24-19, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm more relaxed without clipless. Sometimes I'll take the road bikes out for a spin around the neighborhood and just wear walking shoes with the Look and Shimano SPD-SL pedals. It's uncomfortable to mash hard wearing soft sole shoes with those pedals, but that suits my mood on those casual rides.

My hybrids are strictly platforms. I don't like clipless for city riding -- commutes, errands, casual group rides. I don't worry about forgetting to unclip. I'm more like Matt Stephens on the old GCN shows -- takes me forever to get clipped in. When I'm in traffic -- and I usually take the lane -- I don't want to be fumbling to clip in. With platforms I'm often across the intersection before the cars after a red light.

I'm thinking about switching one road bike to those two-sided pedals, with clipless on one side and platform on the other. A couple of friends have those and like 'em.

The GCN fellows (Simon and Matt) did a clipless vs platform test a couple of years ago, both indoors and outdoors. They found very little measurable difference. Both said it felt different. But that didn't translate to significant differences in speed and power.

If anything the test was a bit flawed because neither Matt nor Simon had done much riding with platform pedals, so their pedal strokes looked a bit awkward. Chances are with more practice they'd have narrowed the differences even more between clipless and platform pedals.

But for longer and harder rides I prefer foot retention, mostly for the arch support. I've always had problems with foot cramps, since I was a kid. Rigid soles and good arch support, and consistent foot positioning, help minimize problems with cramps in my arches, calves and thighs. But that's only an issue on hard rides, so I don't need clipless or toe clips on my hybrids.

When I got my first road bike in 30+ years, back in summer 2017, I started out with platform pedals for six months. Some of my fastest times were still from back then. Switching to clipless in January 2018 didn't improve my overall speed, segment speed or ... anything. It's just more comfortable on longer rides at harder efforts. Getting more fit improved my speed, but the pedals and shoes made no difference.

I would have thought there'd be some advantage to spinning faster, but I tend to pedal like a metronome at 90 rpm, clipless or platform. The only time clipless is an advantage for spinning is on fast downhills where I can reach 130 rpm. But if I had taller gears I could mash and ride platforms at the same speed -- which I do on my hybrid. Some of my fastest downhill runs are still on the hybrid, with 50T chainring and 11T small cog. With 13T small cogs on my road bikes, it helps to have foot retention to spin faster. But that's only on downhills. Doesn't matter much elsewhere.
Likes For canklecat: