View Single Post
Old 06-25-19, 05:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
It sounds like you may not understand what I am saying, that is on me.

I am proposing a philosophy, that says max strength (and short range power) is developed through max muscle fatigue (when warmed up etc.), and then recovery. Some of these ideas have been around a very long time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Slow

Typically training to failure would be only in a gym and only certain times, and ideally with a spotter so you can finish a rep. But the person does not start thinking 150# X 8 reps. They may start 80X15, then 100X12 then 150 times whatever it is, and not finish a rep. They are going to a level of fatigue. A trainer really helps.
Other times the person training is training to a fatigue level. It may not be failure. But it is based on how they feel, rest etc.

[...] I do believe building speed is better accomplished with non bike things and non number things. "Measurement Free".
Towards the beginning, you're describing a progression, eg the numbers keep getting bigger. As you said, you don't start out at 150 lbs, you start at 50 and work your way up. There's no way that's a non-numbers thing. I mean you described it using numbers!

If you go into any gym and look at the people who know what they're doing - that's usually the big guys - they're not just throwing any random amount of weight on the bar and listing it until they reach exhaustion.

And nobody thinks bench pressing 225 lbs in a 5x5 scheme (25 total reps) is the same as benching 6 lbs 1,000 times. That would get you approx the same total volume, but would not produce the station necessary to provoke the adaptations people go to the gym for.