View Single Post
Old 06-26-19, 10:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Don't get me wrong, Boston has done some great things really well. But comparing the geography of Boston to Toronto, there's just a lot more places in Boston where sharrows make more sense than segregating.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sharrows are one of the few things that turn out to be better in practice than they sound in theory. I could see if there's only one such street in the city, it probably would not be that effective, but that hasn't been my experience.

Idon't know if you're familiar with Boston, but it might be the least rationally laid out street system of any major city in North America. There's a lot of major streets that are just too narrow and irregularly routed to be able to retrofit with a bike lane.

What I have noticed is that the sharrows, which are all over the place, seem to have retrained drivers not to freak out when a bike takes the lane. It also helps with the crazy 5 and 6 way intersections that Boston has so many of to be sitting in one of the lanes rather than trying FRAP in a context where people already have too many lanes to keep track of.

You get honked at or otherwise harassed much less for doing this when there's sharrows.

Basically, they're good driver education tools.
Originally Posted by Daniel4
As long as what works to get new people safely onto their bikes, there shouldn't be a problem.

In Toronto, bike lanes work. Sharrows seem to be marginally better than any confident rider on any street.
In 2015 I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Two years ago we visited Toronto and when riding on Yonge St. I realized how valuable were those simply painted bike lanes we have in Boston; Toronto had none.

Later on that visit, I met a cyclist and we exchanged tales of riding in our mutual cities. He told me about Rob Ford’s vehement anti-cycling stance.
… he asked me how Boston compared, and I had to admit urban riding in TO was a lot scarier than in Boston.

In comparing notes, he blamed it on the Mayor, who "drove an SUV," while I praised our mayor for his commitment to cycling, and even hired a former Olympic cyclist as a "Bicycling Czar." It seems our Hubways Bike-Share system is doing well, while your Bixi Bikes is having some difficulty.

Nonetheless, I was impressed with the number of cyclists I saw....
One of the big changes in the Boston cycling scene over the past couple years has been the interest that [the late] Mayor *****o has taken in bicycling, and he has appointed a bike czar, introduced several cycling lanes in those above-mentioned areas in the heart of the city, and instituted a bicycle sharing system, called “Hubway,” particularly centered in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.

(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub of the Universe )

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-26-19 at 12:47 PM.