DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The Edges work differently.

A "track" file is a list of points that traces the curves and turns of your intended path (there are many points).

A "route" file is a list of "places" (waypoints) you want to pass through (there are not many of these).

The Edges can't use "route" files.

Some of the Edges (like the Touring) let you create multi-step routes, but it's painful on a small screen.

Typically, people create track files on a website.

The track files can have embedded turn instructions ("course points"). Those are intended for Edge units that don't use maps (but all the Edges can use "course points").

The Edge units that use maps can generate turn instructions ("turn guidance") by following the track.

"MapSource" is a PC-based route planner. It's really old (it was supplanted by BaseCamp).

Cuesheets kind of suck (they are terrible, actually). They aren't practical if you change your mind.

They are cheap, though. (Use them if you like.)

Using a phone could be similar to using a Garmin.

The Garmins (or phone) work best for "big Euro tours" when using them is part of your routine.
Thanks for the info, I'm a bit surprised Edges can't use route files but I figure that makes sense if tracks/courses work better for navigation anyway. Cue sheets do have their downfalls of course: on complicated routes it's easy to make a mistake writing turns or else miss a turn while riding, this happens to me even on some local rides. & on tour, it's not fun to waste 30 min or whatnot with a wrong turn. So I've changed my mind & am thinking about getting a new Garmin. I suppose it's something of a luxury but with limited touring time it might help make touring more relaxing & fun by keeping to the schedule.