Old 06-29-19, 11:16 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
What specific numbers are you referring to with 'the number gives quantifiable objectives of what WAS done." Some numbers give history (kjoules, average speed, distance, etc). And some #'s give what you are doing RIGHT NOW (speed, power - at least the short term averages typically displayed, gradient, etc.)

dave

Sure. You have them. They all tell you the past - even right now. Riding to numbers means you adjust your effort based on the numbers, vs perceived effort.

I've seen a bunch of riders fall apart at altitude as they didn't know HR or power to hold. I've seen them tired, recovering from sickness, and there are too many variables to tell someone to ride to a set time or number without many repetitions on the same conditions.

Look at USA Pro ITT just Thursday. We have a Worlds Podium U23 kid (who did ride with power last I knew) with jet lag, coming off a WT and rides pro ITT. What is he supposed to ride to? 2nd place was also not riding to numbers. He said got a bit too excited.

1st place may have been. But at over a min down on 2nd lap, pulled out over a min. That would be a weird plan.

Anyway I agree with SF that comparing to pros or racers is silly, and particularly so when what they do is so different than a BF poster.

USA junior racers are much closer than WT racers, or TTT track racers to actual BF posters.

Racing is about winning, power and going fast are tools to do that, but it is different. Someone who wins may not be going as fast as they can, because they don't have to.

It is a bad comparison, and worse when defined by ARE FASTER. Are when? Faster at what? What matters is are you faster at what you do. You indicated yes. That does not surprise me.

The idea you posted in you OP that maybe you might be going faster is not far fetched IMO at all.

If you like measurements, ride with them. They are objective. But much more so after the fact and often for others than the riders.