View Single Post
Old 07-06-19, 06:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
What kind of touring? Camping? Motels? How much do you carry? What gearing?

Most tourists ride 30 pound bikes and use really low gearing. Most of them carry pretty heavy loads (at least by my standards).

There are a lot of approaches to touring. To my way of thinking what you carry logically comes first, then what bags it takes to carry it, then what bike best suits that combination. Gear weight and gearing are both way more important than bike weight IMO. A light bike is nice, but it is a lower priority than packing light and having the right gearing.

BTW, as always, choice of wheels and tires is the most important part of the bike itself when it comes to performance and comfort. Of course there is a balancing act between those two and durability.

For me leaning toward a very light load and a more performance oriented bike equals comfort on the bike. For me that beans 9-15# of UL backpacking gear on a bike that was designed for road racing back in the 90s (fitted with lower gearing) or maybe an endurance road bike today. Gravel bikes look interesting, but I have no experience with them. That is not what a lot of folks prefer.