View Single Post
Old 07-07-19, 11:59 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 657 Posts
DT Lugs? It's a lugless frame?

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Thanks. The DT lugs made me wonder. I bought it at $25 looking to turn it over. I should have cleaned it and changed the FD and called it a day for max profit. Still, now it's a cool day tripper and I'll break even.🤗
DT Lugs? Please explain what you are referring to?

Lugs are the thin steel sleeves that the 3 main tubes are brazed into on a lugged frame bike.

On inexpensive bikes like your Stella, lugless construction was a cost savings method of assembling a frame.

I saw very few lugless French bike boom models. I don't recall ever seeing a frame failure on one of them but it was common on CHEAP American made brazed or welded lugless department store bikes.

You did a nice job of fixing it up. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

BTW, my snobbish attitude towards cheap bikes comes from working on some of them during the bike boom days of the early 70's.

Those bikes usually had cheap components that barely worked when new, very cheap cables and housing that all needed replacement plus frequently they were poorly assembled at the factory in Europe.

The amount of time spent repairing and sometimes even reassembling those bikes to get them to work properly amounted to more labor costs than the bikes were worth and in the end, the owner still had a cheap bike!

We wouldn't let department store bikes into our shop for all of the above reasons plus the liability factor of having worked on a bike that was unsafe before it left the factory! KID KILLERS!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-08-19 at 12:05 AM.