Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Well then, you do it differently or more slowly than the guys I've watched in the shop! The rim in question literally probably has one if not two adjacent spokes that are not quite right - only a slight wobble on one side. I've seen such a thing corrected multiple times and usually we can hardly have a conversation before the mechanic hands the trued wheel back to me.

Thanks for the list. I already have a grand majority of those things - I even have a little spoke wrench already. I just don't have a truing stand and I have no other frame set with the same size dropouts to set this wheel into, and the one it will be used on does not have brakes or pads attached yet. So I figured I could not true it decently just having it mounted on the frame right now.

-Gregory

Frequenting this board you would know that for many of us, for as minor a truing job as you claim needs to be done, a truing stand is superfluous. Unlike IAB, I wouldn't even flip the bike for this job. Lift the bike by the saddle with one hand, start the wheel spinning with the other and, maybe, move the brake shoe closer if I felt unsure of which 2 spokes needed adjusting.... No brake shoes? Easy, peasy. DO flip the frame upside down like IAB suggested, tape a pencil perpendicular to the chainstay (or use a rubber band to go high tech/adjustable) and use that to find your wobble.

If not comfortable with doing it without advice, ASK. While I agree that the total cost you were quoted seems high, do you really think the shop is raking in a fortune? My biggest fault with the shop is saying it will take 2 weeks...Maybe they are making the big bucks. Seriously, since you know most of what's involved why didn't you, when they quoted you those prices, just buy the freewheel remover, spoke and cone wrenches?

So I'll be out $45 and will have to wait two weeks to pick up the rear wheel, which won't even have the new freewheel reattached yet (since I need it off when I overhaul the hub).

You do understand what is involved in putting a new freewheel on a hub, yes?

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-08-19 at 12:32 PM.