View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 03:48 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
10-30 minute climbs are basically best done at steady power, usually near or slightly over your threshhold. Know your zones, settle in right away, and just manage your HR.

I MAY try to mark a wheel, but that's only if i"m confident they won't blow me up, and that they are likely to blow themselves up. But then i'll sit on the wheel and just try to manage my effort and HR.

If I am going to go over my zone, it's always going to be for the steeper parts or switchbacks (you get more benefit at the higher effort lower speed parts).

Later in the climb I may decide I'm feeling good and up my effory, but it will be a small increase and still be consistent power while climbing.

If the climb is followed by a descent, then I very much want to be on the back of whatever pack is in front of me over the top. So I will absolutely bury myself to catch that wheel before it gets over the top. I can recover in the draft... which I won't have if I don't catch that wheel!

Climbs under 10 minutes can be climbed well over threshhold, but steady power is still usaully going to be the fastest.