View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 05:16 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Saw this black snake on my July 4th ride. About 4' long. It was crossing the bike/multi use path. I stopped to watch it, and also to make sure no bike path warrior would come flying along and run over it. It's the first live one I've seen in a while (I see plenty of dead ones). They are non venoumous and help keep the rodent population under control, so they are good in my book.

I have always liked snakes, too. I was sad all day when a big black snake--no doubt a close relative of that one--sped out of the tall grass at the side of the road (somewhere between Poplarville and Biloxi, Mississippi) and directly under my front wheel, much faster than I could react. Went right over him and left him in his death throes, the poor fellow.

A short time later I remember passing the "Bad Habitz Wine and Liquor Store." The letters in the sign were rendered to look like they had been assembled from worn and weathered barn boards. I really should have taken a picture of that, but I was too shy.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash