Old 07-09-19, 09:38 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
That’s interesting I guess it goes to how much either small or large regional differences are (the Greenbay isn’t far away- and I used to check CL for Oshkosh and Appleton), OR it has to do with how much the “vintage” bike hobby has changed in the past 5-10 years. If I could have gotten a clean $80 84 Trek 620, I’d have been tripping over myself to get up to the Greenbay.
The vintage landscape has changed a ton. Bikes that would sell on the first day are sitting. Of course, this is a regional observation on my part.
Here's my story on the above bike by the picture alone. Seller is either cleaning the garage or moving (note the storage bins and full garbage can) and dragged this bike out of the corner where it has sat for 5 years plus. Off to ebay where he sees a couple 620's with a buy it now at $500 so he figures his is worth $375. Problem is, I bet this bike needs all consumables. I've peeled away my share of dried up and cracked tanwalls to know those are tires are probably original and shot (see the white around the rim on the rear tire.) Also, whats up with the front part of the top tube ? Paint issues ? Add in questionable derailleurs and hubs. He doesn't even bother to hit it with a garden hose. In my experience, if a bike doesn't look so hot in a picture from 10 feet away, it's gonna look worse in person. So yeah, I think the seller is nuts at $375. At $200, plus a tank of gas, plus consumables ............ well to each their own. If the frame and paint were perfect, I could buy in to the idea. I have a feeling this one is rough. I drove 5 hours round trip once for a bike. A minty Prologue for $150.

Last edited by sdn40; 07-09-19 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For sdn40: