View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
A 60-11 isn't for me. (I benefited in my race with the biggest downhill having just a 54-14 when everybody else had at least a 52-13 because it meant I couldn't work in the small group on the descent. Smuggler's Notch. I couldn't even catch up to the freewheel.)

That said, I applaud 60 tooth ring for doing the unusual with bikes. I'm the guy who had built for me a road fix gear with a forward facing dropout so I could run any track cog made without messing with chain length, then proceeded to ride Cycle Oregon on it 4 times, including the two hilliest in recent years.

Now that bike was pretty straightforward from a design/build standpoint except for the custom dropout cut from plate. My next project, using the same builder, was to make a triple chainring fix gear out of my old custom. That required custom chainring bolts and brazing two cogs together. This to have a fix gear with, like the custom frame I just mentioned, the ability to run 3 very different fix gear ratios in the mountains with fast roadside changes and clearance for big gravel-worthy tires.

These bikes aren't for everybody. I get asked all the time "why don't you just use gears?". My answer - because I love to ride fix gear. A 22 speed high end bike doesn't have even one fix gear on it anywhere. I have two/three geared bikes. Over half my lifetime mileage is on fix gears. I'm 66. My knees no longer want to and my legs are barely able to ride long climbs on the 44-17. Now I have to stop more often. But I get to ride my favorite rides still on my favorite drivetrain.

60 tooth ring, ride the heck out of this thing! (And working with builders who "get" what you want is fun, isn't it.)

Ben