View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 08:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I wouldn't say terrible as much as not properly expressed. A good clean keto type diet is an excellent way to lose weight. I eat low carb and my diet is about as good as a human's can be. When eating this you want a good variety of vegetables and good quality meats.

I know a little about this since I've actually lost 145 lbs in a year. I did it by eating perfect and exercising. I cut out all sugar, all grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and yellow squash.

Belly fat is mostly caused by sugar consumption or foods that on the glycemic index act just like sugar. You can eat a bowel of Corn flakes with no added sugar or a bowel of sugar with no added corn flakes and they are exactly the same metabolically.
Here's the thing though--ketosis requires an extremely high fat, relatively low protein diet, no fruits, and a very limited range of even non-starchy vegetables. I lost about 100 pounds without working out on a diet very similar to what you're describing, but never completely cutting out carbs. I definitely ate some fruit (never juice) during this period. I lost an additional 50 pounds working out after that, but actually found I had lost too much muscle and consciously put on a few pounds. I have been able to maintain this weight loss while now eating some carbs, even treating myself to a few sweets during my 100-150 mile rides. My diet is extremely high protein which allows me to maintain a decent muscle mass for my age, something you cannot do and maintain ketosis, because your body will burn the protein as carbs.
Likes For livedarklions: