Old 07-11-19, 08:45 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
I am looking for a used, mid range, road or hybrid bike for my son. Probably something less than 10 years old. This one seems like a decent bike though I cant judge the condition from the pic. Thoughts?
2011 Grand Record
If you don't already know, these are not classic or vintage so this doesn't really belong in this category. This is a BikesDirect, made in China or Taiwan, bike and has nothing to do with the old French brand.

But, I actually had one of these for a little while and found it to be a pretty capable road bike. Not sluggish, really. For what it is, and what you can buy them for now, it's actually surprisingly good. Mine was a little too small for me, so I sold it. Also, for what it's worth, I've since had experience with another, newer aluminum BikesDirect road bike, and found that the older one--my Grand Record said "7005 AL" on the side the same as the one in the pic, unlike the newer ones that all say "6061 AL"-- to be superior. I know it's a ridiculous thing to posit, but are BikesDirect bikes getting worse? Will somebody, someday, be coveting those rare, early year models?

Last edited by Headpost; 07-11-19 at 08:59 PM.