View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 04:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Sorry for being off topic, did not mean to hijack the thread.

Originally Posted by base2
As for the double chain-ring: It's a Powertap C1 and they only come in 53, 52, & 50 tooth varieties mated to a 36 chain-ring. ...
That explains it, you have a crank that you specifically wanted. And the crank choice was more important that chainring sizes.

When I built up my Rohloff bike (a Thorn Nomad), I decided to keep the standard 16T sprocket and calculated that a 44T chainring would be ideal for around home use where it would then have gear ratios similar to my other bikes. But for touring, I switch to a 36T chainring, with that in my first gear I have 3.5 mph at a cadence of 72. I think that cadence is the slowest where I feel like it is pretty smooth pedal stroke and I need 3.5 mph to maintain vertical and directional stability. My bike is 26 inch wheels, so if you used your 36 inner, your gearing would be slightly higher than mine, but not by much.

To switch rings, I have to add or subtract four links, can do that easily with two quick links. You would have a slightly bigger difference. I assume you have an eccentric for your bottom bracket to adjust chain tension. I do not see any other option on the bike.

I use a cheap compact double (110mm BCD, five arms) and put the chainring on the inner position, a bashguard in the outer.

I have a chainline error about 5mm, but that is intentional, I wanted my Rohloff bike to have about the same Q factor (pedal width) as my other derailleur bikes, thus my bottom bracket spindle is 10mm shorter than it should be for a perfect chainline.

You mention half step. My Nomad does not have a derailleur hanger. If it did, I might have considered half step because when I first started using the Rohloff, I thought that the 13 percent change between gears was pretty big, my derailleur touring bikes had smaller steps in the range of gears that I mostly use. But I got used to the step size in the Rohloff and I really like the Rohloff for touring where there are a lot of hills because it is so quick to shift gears. I just finished a five week tour in very hilly terrain, I often shifted two or three gears at a time instead of one.

I do not see a shifter on your bike other than brifters, so I assume you have something like the Rohbox (spell?) that allows you to use brifters for shifting. I use the standard twist grip shifter on a hubbub adapter on the right side handlebar end.

Nice bike, I am sure you will really love it.

I cut some sleeves out of inner tube rubber to slide over the ends of my S&S "nuts" to keep the dirt out of the threads. You might want to consider that too. See photo.