Old 07-17-19, 06:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I hung all the parts on it and screwed them all together. I had thought that the bike was no longer for this world, so when a friend needed a new rear tire I even passed him the original wire-bead Schwalbe Marathon I had been running. I put a Compass tire on the back because my Ron Cooper has spoiled me with its suppleness Contemporary Stronglight bottom bracket from my friend in Germany and a few newly machined parts to more securely mount the front rack round out the build. It even felt nice enough to be worthy of soldered cable ends

The thing rides so much more responsively!! It really reacts to my input, springing forward and encouraging hard efforts in a way it has not done in recent memory. Back-to-back rides with my Vitus 979 are in order I think. I am pleased with the way it rides! Best of all, it's silent. No more creaking!

I guess this thread wouldn't be complete without:
a) A few drive-side photos of the completed bike.

How bout that horrible rear fenderline? I think if the seatstays break, I will redo the brake bridge higher up.

Glamor shot of my 73-degree beveled aluminum bracket for a third attachment point on the Jandd Expedition front rack. Also note the wire internal tube.

Sesquilaminate construction with Rustoleum finish!

That Mercedes symbol has been on there for years. A reminder that we all do silly things sometimes.

b) Some angst.
The bars obviously are missing some tape. The old tape is in tatters. What should I do for handlebar tape? Here are four options I can think of.
i. Natural cork-looking stuff like it's had? It gets dirty so quickly.
ii. Splash bar tape to go with the multicolor business? It's splatter painted after all. But again, anything with yellow will really show dirt
iii. Black or dark-colored cork or Bike Ribbon style vinyl. This is probably the most sensible, but I can't stand black bar tape.
iv. Yellow Bike Ribbon style vinyl and then I'll just clean it off with orange degreaser once a month.

And should I buy new brake levers, since the little plastic thingies around the lever blades are broken? Ugh it's just a commuter, I'll probably break them immediately if I buy new ones.
Likes For scarlson: