Old 07-18-19, 12:15 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
You need to try it then, because it doesn't. Having the bottom of the bars level is how I started with Woodchippers because I set them up like a normal drop bar. The thing is, the curve in the Woodchipper is a smaller radius than normal drops so your hand really doesn't fit there like on road drop bars. With Woodchippers, in the drops your hand does better residing on the extended flat behind the curve so you'll want it angled up to duplicate the type of angle your hand is resting at when riding in the drops on a traditional road bar. As I said above, the right angle results in your hands neither wanting to slide up or down the bar. It's a very neutral position with a good grip for bumpy stuff. You then bring the levers forward around the curve so the controls stay in reach when in the drops and the byproduct is a useable hood position as well. Yes, it looks really weird at first but after a few rides the bars will win you over because the drops are very comfortable for most riding plus you have hoods for climbing.

Your pic of the Cutthroat above looks set up about right (aside from the poor wrap job).
Can you reach the levers to brake and shift with them set up like that? I know I wouldn't be able to with the levers mounted that high from the extended flat section of the drops