Old 07-18-19, 10:07 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
The original tri bar-end shifters were gripshift like I use. Back then whatever the pros had that's what you wanted. However some of those same pros were component sponsored (usually Shimano) and eventually had to use their brand shifters. So then came bar end shifters specifically made for aero bars and also the attachments like those used there. So naturally age groupers started using them. Then when 9, 10 speeds came into favor that essentially was the nail on the coffin for the gripshift. I absolutely love the gripshift, probably for the same type reasons I enjoy the Ironman in triathlons; they're different, old school, and a heap of fun passing the latest.
Not only do I use the original gripshifts, I also use the original aerobars. However, one of the drawbacks (besides never being allowed in club rides, which may not be a bad thing) is when you stand to climb, you are forced to put your hands in the drops position. It's easier to stand and be on the hoods on regular road bars as it seems to open your chest up a bit. So perhaps we should add the bull horn TT bars another reason for the downtube shifter attachment becoming more prevalent.
Btw I'm near the end of reading Ironwar. The story of Dave Scott's and Mark Allens epic '89 Ironman battle. Most of the stuff is already common knowledge but with more details. And then of course filled with embellishments, assumptions and speculation. Reportedly both Dave and Mark filed a lawsuit for defamation against the writer. Idk. My son let me borrow the book. There are a few things that I know for a fact are not correct. Also some things were taking directly from the ABC broadcast of the event, I know because I have it on Tape.
Regardless I'm gonna watch it now , MAN what an Amazing performance. We're talking close to 27 mph on the 112 mile bike (no drafting), followed by sub 6 min miles on the marathon. 30 years later and those marathon times are still in the top 10 of all time Ironman marathons.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-19-19 at 04:34 AM.