View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 09:01 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes, I dispute that. I ride many miles on the mid-20s mph in very high gear in the flat. I am most definitely not soft pedaling it and I am flying past people pedaling a lot faster than I am., I assume at some lower gear. If I compare myself to the typical racer what I see is someone who is about my height with legs that have much thinner muscles than I have. They generally weigh somewhat less than I do, but I would describe their legs as being wiry, and mine thickly muscled. I know I don't have a lot of fast twitch musle, I probably have below average jumping ability, which is a pretty good test. What I have a lot of is slow twitch muscle, which gives me a lot of torque and endurance. Frankly, spinning a low gear is not suited to my legs. I just waste energy picking them up more while not realizing their full potential at generating speed by torque.
Understood. It seems unusual and odd to me, but low cadence obviously works for you.

Mid 20's is fast. Like advanced group ride while drafting fast. Are you doing this in a group, or solo? What is your gear (inches or teeth) and cadence while flying in the mid 20's?

You're putting words in my mouth as regards op. I didn't say spinning won't work for him, just that there are a lot of variables involved, and he should experiment to see what works rather than accept the pronouncements of other people as to what should of just work. Neither you nor I should be telling this guy how to ride, we don't have a clue.
I re-read my response several times, and don't see where I said anything that could be understood as me posting that you said spinning wouldn't work for the OP.

I agree with the rest of your post. We are all just posting what works for us, and/or our thoughts on the subject at hand. It's been an informative and entertaining thread.