Old 07-23-19, 11:25 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Went out for a 36 mile ride this morning. Still slow, but my legs didn't hurt as much when I was done, so that seems like progress.

I realized today that turning is 100% with the handlebars, which then leans the bike into the turn. Kind of like riding a big motorcycle. I get the best straight line tracking and turns when I keep my upper body still and point the bike where I want to go with my hands. Leaning to steer like I would with a DF is counterproductive and makes the bike squirrelly, so I stopped doing that. I think that's why turns feel so different. Instead of leaning to initiate the turn, I turn to initiate the lean which is a completely different feeling. This has also helped a lot with starting. I keep my upper body really rigid, then get a good revolution in a middle gear, clip in the other foot and I'm off in a straight line. I was wobbling all over the place before I figured out this technique. Of course this requires remembering to gear down before the stop.

Also wanted to share my headlight setup which is working very well well. I found a seatpost reflector bracket, bolted it to the frame, then attached the plastic part of a fork crown mount for a B&M Ixon Premium which is my favorite battery powered light.