Old 07-23-19, 01:14 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Went out for a 36 mile ride this morning. Still slow, but my legs didn't hurt as much when I was done, so that seems like progress.

I realized today that turning is 100% with the handlebars, which then leans the bike into the turn. Kind of like riding a big motorcycle. I get the best straight line tracking and turns when I keep my upper body still and point the bike where I want to go with my hands. Leaning to steer like I would with a DF is counterproductive and makes the bike squirrelly, so I stopped doing that. I think that's why turns feel so different. Instead of leaning to initiate the turn, I turn to initiate the lean which is a completely different feeling. This has also helped a lot with starting. I keep my upper body really rigid, then get a good revolution in a middle gear, clip in the other foot and I'm off in a straight line. I was wobbling all over the place before I figured out this technique. Of course this requires remembering to gear down before the stop.

Also wanted to share my headlight setup which is working very well well. I found a seatpost reflector bracket, bolted it to the frame, then attached the plastic part of a fork crown mount for a B&M Ixon Premium which is my favorite battery powered light.

Most people experience the same phenomenon WRT turns / cornering. You steer moreso than on a DF. As you noted trying to lean or use body english is essentially unproductive and distracting. Not sure why it's the case, but as you've figured out there any number of mental adjustments that come with riding a bent well.

Also, you may experience "foot flash" with that setup (light reflecting back at you off your shoes - yes, it happens even with black shoes), and find it messes up your night vision. I do, and most other folks do.

If you experience it too, this is a good solution: https://www.bacchettabikes.com/produ...-armed-bandit/