Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thats Fantastic

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Recovering a saddle with vinyl isn't all that hard to do. To make it easier you can attach the vinyl to one edge of the saddle, let the glue cure and then stretch the vinyl to the opposite side and glue it there. I use plastic tipped metal clamps from the dollar store to hold the second edge of the vinyl whilst the glue cures. Actually I found recovering it with leather even easier.

Here's an old Vetta saddle that had the top badly damaged on a low stippled ceiling in a stairwell as I was carrying it up the stairs. I bought a red leather ladies mini-skirt for $3.50 at a thrift store. I glued one edge and the front (not the entire cover) to the saddle with contact cement. When that was cured well i stretched he leather over to the other side and glued and clamped it. When the glue was cured I removed the clamps. I never used staples on it and the leather has stayed put all these years. I imagine that something like Gorilla Glue might be even better but the contact cement is readily available in small amounts.

The three closeup images of the recovered saddle were taken with a cheap point and shoot camera and thus are not the best quality.

Cheers

Thats FANTASTIC. Nice Job.

Sometimes its easy to repair an old favorite item instead of just throwing it away in the landfill and buying new. Pride, value and quality (and you helped save the planet)