Old 07-25-19, 02:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Really appreciate you answering all my questions. Good to hear about the legs.

Originally Posted by Steamer
I don't find that bent riding ruins my DF legs, or vice versa. I actually think recumbent legs is more of a neurological / technique issue, and not so much a muscle thing. It IS a muscle thing for the first several hundred miles, or perhaps the first 500 miles, but your muscles adapt pretty quickly. Its the brain that takes longer. Effective bent riding actually requires a little different pedaling technique, and it takes a while to get your spin equal to what it is on your DF.

What bent riding does do is wreck your DF butt. You may not have realized how much your tissues have adapted to a DF saddle, and if you don't stay in contact with the DF enough, you will soften up.
Great point. I literally have calluses on my butt and have actually noticed that they are starting to soften up just in the last two weeks since I got this bike and have been riding it exclusively. I'm sure the same is happening to the soft tissue.

I think you will find that if the route isn't too hilly, you can ride with DFs just fine on the Bacchetta.
It's just fun riding in a group of DFs. Taking pulls, rotating through the paceline, etc., I'm used to doing that on a DF and don't think it would be as natural or as much fun for me on a recumbent. My buddy who rides a Bacchetta, rides with me a lot, but he's always off to the side or hanging off the back, so he's with the group, but not as much part of the group, if you know what I mean.

At this point, the only advantage of the one arm bandit is that it could allow the mounting of a backup light (unless your backup light uses the same bracket as your primary light, that is).
My backup light is another Ixon that I keep in my bag, so same mount. I also carry a backup to the backup which is just a little tiny handlebar light, but I've never even had to use the backup.