View Single Post
Old 07-26-19, 11:13 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your first video demonstrates the issue I have exactly. If you had just turned in the left turn lane, you'd be down the road by 30 seconds to a minute instead of waiting for the light to cycle. If I had to do this for multiple lights, it would drive me nuts.
Again, why do you cycle in counterclockwise circles? (Or anticlockwise circles across the pond. Wait, belay that, clockwise circles across the pond.)

In any event, once upon a time "serious cyclists" would exit at Mill Street and make a left turn onto Mass Ave. However, they made that right turn only.

So "serious cyclists" would abandon the bikeway and take Russel Terrace (sort of) to Mystic, right on Mystic, left on Mass Ave.

See the first picture below.

But before that. NOTE THE RED ARROW. It's no faster to make a left on Mass Ave from Mystic than it is to do the two stage turn, and often it's slower since you can get tangled up in traffic trying to make the RIGHT onto Mystic.

So, pics below:

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Define “few.” Understand that before the Minuteman officially opened, I was there with our newborn. (Think stroller slalom, grrr.)

They were on the back of the bike asap though, followed by back of the trailer bike.
Still remember when I got the push from behind. They pushed their own weight, woah!

And, pretty much just the two of us were it back then.

It’s not just you, LOTS of people with LOTS of kids going to and fro. I can't help but smile.

Some of the rigs are amazing. One couple is on a tandem towing a recumbent tandem trailer bike - the never ending bicycle, never managed to get a good shot.

But here's a Bike-Trailer Bike-Trailer:

The long tails look fun though:

It's like we are becoming Amsterdam or something:

-mr. bill

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Additionally, I don't understand this idea of putting bikes at the front of traffic. It is safer for the bicyclist and the driver to not be the one passed or the one doing the passing. I'd much rather be at the end of a line of cars going through a light than at the beginning.
The people have spoken, the people are not fraidy cats:

Originally Posted by mr_bill
You're gonna need a bigger box.

-mr. bill
BTW, they put sharrows on ALL THREE LANES on Mystic.

None of which has much to do with Dutch style intersections, since you keeping whinging about Danish style intersections.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-26-19 at 12:31 PM.