Old 07-29-19, 07:34 AM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
Went to the Outer Banks on the North Carolina coast last week glamping and got in some great rides.

We stayed on the southern end of Hatteras Island in Frisco which is close to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

My 1st longish ride was to the lighthouse and back. About 15 miles round trip.

On the way to the Lighthouse I passed the Mothership which has been moved from Area 51 pending the storming.

This photo was taken by another cyclist that had just arrived.

Next day I rode from the campground to ramp 49 for the ocean. About 4 miles roundtrip. About the last 1/4 mile was gravel which was fine but I tried to ride up the ramp in the sand and with 700c x 38s that was a no go.

This is a beach access ramp for ORVs.

The following day I went for the ride I was really looking forward to. The Northern end of Ocracoke Island to the Village in the south. At 14.5 miles it was not bad but a lonely road with a lot of sand blowing and on the road. I had a strong tail wind which really helped.

Waiting in line for the Ferry on Hatteras Island.

At the Northern Ferry landing prepping to leave. You can see how the wind is blowing my beard.

The route

Success. 14.64 miles, 58 minutes

We had a great time and my wife Liz was a great help driving to the Village to meet me. Then she hid from me and left hints on FaceBook until I found her.

If you get a chance to visit the Outer Banks (OBX) definitely do so.
Nice! I'm thinking about doing so in the coming years. Want to do a lighthouse crawl. So, I take there are plenty of bike routes or bike friendly roads?