Old 07-31-19, 02:23 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Any way to add bike commuting to your routine?

Partial commute? Park and ride? Multi-modal bus?
Miles and benefits add up.
I would love to commute by bike, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make it happen. I live in Norman, OK, about 20 miles south of Oklahoma City where I work. The distance would be fine, but there just isn't a bike-friendly route. There's an interstate and a couple of very heavily trafficked roads with curbs and no shoulder. I think I remember reading somewhere that Oklahoma City is, per capita, the most dangerous city in America for cyclists.
I've thought about the multi-modal option, but "unfortunately" the bus stop is only about two blocks from my house in Norman and stops right in front of the door where I work. I suppose I could always get off a few stops early, but then there are still the terrible streets.
I've opted for a trainer and Zwift instead. It's not perfect, but Zwift makes the trainer a little less boring. I'm trying to ride a couple of nights a week on Zwift, then decent real rides on the weekend. I'm on track to hit 2000 miles this year. Down quite a bit from yearly averages until a couple of years ago, but enough, I hope, to keep me in reasonable shape.