Old 01-29-06, 04:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ReptilesBlade
I was one for over two years and yes that is it exactly. It is also a way to up the number of handicapped workers to fill their government quota without actually giving them anything useful to do (I am handicapped and thus got the job at the rip old age of 18).

I guess they think the thief will not be mean enough to attack a cripple or geriatric (trust me they are dead ****ing wrong on that one) and seeing someone like me or the more traditional elderly greeter when walking in the door makes their bloated customers feel like they are shopping at a company with morals. *Laughs hysterically*

That is one of the most degrading jobs you can ever have. The customers hate you because you momentarily arouse them from their stupor to politely ask if the want a cart and welcome them to the store, your fellow workers hate you because they think you are getting off by doing much less work for the same pay (trust me, you are not), the management hates you for the previous reason and that they are actually the ones paying you for your measly duties.

The funny thing is that your fellow workers make your life a living hell until any of them (the so called "normal" employees ) have to take over for you for even 15 minutes. It is amazing that nearly every single time a non-greeter had to cover for me for even a measly 15 minutes (and heaven forbid longer) when I got back I was treated to a good 10-15 minute discussion about how much the job sucked and how they could never handle it for the 4-8 hours I normally do. After that I often got a great deal of respect from them from then on out.

The biggest problem of the job is the mind-numbing boredom that drags on throughout the entirety of your stay at work that is broken only by the many sources of hatred mentioned earlier. Basically growing up in a hospital bed prepared me well for a job with little physical movement and virtually zero mental simulation (it is primarily designed for geriatrics after all). And no playing games in your head is not even remotely the secret to surviving it, mind games might help you last 15-30 minutes and after that you better find a long lasting distraction or to be blunt you are ****ed.

And if any of you doubt that so help me God I will put on the old vest and prove it to you
!
Very interesting and well put. You've inspired me to live a good life. Otherwise I might have to spend eternity workin as a greeter!

Did you hear the joke on "Weekend Update" last night:
In a nationwide poll, 56 % of Americans agreed that Walmart is bad for the country. The other 44 % work there.

"Think Outside the Cage"