View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 04:32 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Of the 15 bikes under the roof today, 11 are "keepers" and 3 fall under the category of "no reason to off-load". Only one bike is redundant and should be sold.

I like having three bikes from the seventies, I have a 1971 Peugeot PX10 that is ready for E'roica and a 1972 Paramount with a chromed frame that are keepers. I also have a painted 1972 Paramount that is something I should sell only because it's redundant.

All three of my bikes from the eighties are "keepers". A 1987-ish De Rosa Professional with 2x9 Campagnolo that is a joy to ride with extra vigour on flatter or shorter rides. My 1988 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra has 2x11 Campagnolo and is better suited to longer or steeper rides, it has a 50x34 compact Campagnolo Athena crankset and drivetrain. I have a 1987-ish Serotta Nova Special X that is very versatile. The Serotta has been on long hilly routes and also is my "town" bike for errands or lunch. It's not as performance orientated as the Merck or De Rosa due to the SPX tubing and downtube shifters but it's eager to go anywhere without a complaint.

Both of my bikes from the nineties are "keepers". The Pinarello Gavia features a 2x10 Campagnolo drivetrain and has an extra amount of visual bling, due to it's chrome stays and fork. The Simoncini Cyclocross Special is a unique bike with a lugged Columbus tubing frame and room for gravel tires. It now has a 2 x10 drivetrain with a 50x34 compact Campagnolo crankset.

I have five carbon bikes. Three are "keepers" and two are used for special applications. The 2018 Ridley Helium SLX is a true race machine that won stage 8 of the 2019 TdF. It's a superb climbing bike and helps on the rolling hills in Wisconsin where I live. The 1997 Canyon Endurace is a very comfortable and versatile bike, if I had only one bike, it would be this Canyon. I also have a Raleigh Roker gravel bike for events. I keep a carbon Cyclocross bike with fenders for wet or salty roads. I have an older carbon road bike permanently installed on the trainer.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-04-19 at 11:43 AM.