View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 11:40 AM
supersport73

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 1981 AustroDaimler SLE, 1981 Miyata 912, 1985 Trek 510, 1986 Schwinn Paramount, 1990 Team Miyata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtarrant05
Hi all! Need your opinion. I picked up a 1972 Super Sport (Kool Lemon) from Facebook for $75 earlier this year. Original brooks saddle, cleaned it up. New bar tape. New tires. Basics.

Have the itch for a project and have been pondering options! Found another bike today that could be a source for parts. Here's the details:

- Throne TrackLord Bike Frame (too small for me)
- Velocity 700c wheels
- Miche Crankset (Single Speed)
- FSA Stem
- FSA Handlebars
- Look Pedals (Would resell)
- Adamo Seat (Would resell)
- Profile Design Tri Bars (Would Resell)

Could I simply put on the 700c wheels, adjust original brakes, use TruV Bottom Bracket, put on the Single Speed Miche Crankset and call it a day?

I guess if the brakes didn't fit I could swap out the handlebars, brakes etc as well.

I think there's enough here to resell to recoup the new bike cost ($200).

I know this would lighten up the Super Sport quite a bit. Worth the trouble?

Goals for this bike are something fun to ride for fitness and family rides. Would be throwing a baby on the back from time to time.

Thanks for the input!
Sounds like your bike is in good shape to ride. I suggest riding it for a while to get a good feel for the pluses and minuses of your setup and the frame. I bought just a frame. The center-pull brakes were still attached. These brakes looked great, but didn't stop all that well. So, I replaced them. I chose a relatively modern crank and early 90s brifters. These additions didn't transform the Super Sport into a Paramount, but they certainly make the most of the frame and enhance my riding experience.
I vote to keep the gears if you ride where there are hills or want to use a tag along.