Old 08-05-19, 03:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Would the kids object to a pinch of nutmeg?

As a child I spend two summers in Switzerland at a place where they served gnocchi or dumplings or something in a Gruyère béchamel with a little nutmeg. OMFG, I can still taste it.
Pumpkin-spice mac and cheese?

The girl is too young to articulate her distaste, but the boy said that the cheese sauce was too thick and that there was too much of it. I'll halve the butter/flour next time and be more careful with the pasta/sauce ratio. I'll also play with different cheeses for my own amusement.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
When I was young, my mom always made homemade. How I longed and begged for the stuff out of the box like everyone else had.

Even today, my wife makes it from scratch, I usually find some left overs that day. Waste of good pasta and cheese in my book.
There's something about Kraft mac and cheese - they've found the right chemicals to make the kids' synapses fire.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It’s easy when you just mix it all up in a pot and serve it as is. It is a little harder when you want it baked. You have to start with the sauce a little runnier. The pasta keeps absorbing water out of the sauce as it bakes, and the whole thing can get kind of thick and dried out. Also the pasta can get soggy. It seems that restaurants use very high heat and a short bake time just to brown the top of the serving. Long baking seems like a good idea, but it doesn’t work so well.
Yeah, stove-top all the way for me - the kids have never liked baked mac and any crumb topping must be thoroughly removed by an asbestos abatement squad before they'll touch it.